Wednesday, December 9, 2015

What if I had become what people told me?

When I was a child I remember being told by my grandma that I would never amount to anything because I was just like my mother.  My mother was the black sheep, the unsuccessful, out of the ordinary one.  My mother made a lot of bad choices in her life and was an alcoholic her whole life but she loved her children the best she knew how. However, I decided at an early age that my mother’s mistakes would not define me and I would not allow anyone including my grandma to tell me who I was going to be.  As I made my own mistakes in life I was told; I would never graduate college, I would end up pregnant at 16, I would be working fast food my whole life, I was a lost cause, and so many other things. 

I have seen my wonderfully outgoing amazingly relational husband be told he;  is too different from other leaders, not organized enough, doesn’t fit in the box, not intellectual enough, doesn’t have what it takes to graduate college, and so many other negative things, but just like myself he refuses to let others define his worth and capabilities.  God has a plan for us and He is the one in control contrary to many who try to control things themselves.

Imagine what power positive encouragement and reinforcement could mean to someone who only feels this sort of negativity.  Many people who struggle with depression, other emotional and mental struggles, or a tough life in general have a hard time seeing the positive so the more encouragement and uplifting they can get the better.  We have to remember that people are not defined by their bad choices, opinions of others, or legacy.  They are defined by the blood of Jesus Christ. 

Ephesians 4:22:24  “You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness”

Jeremiah 29:11  For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

So let’s just imagine what a difference it could make in the lives of so many including ourselves if we were only positive all the time.  If we took the words of the Bible and encouraged people with them instead of allowing our own feelings, desires, and motives take control.  Is that possible for you?  For me? 

What does the Bible say about how we are to treat others positively?
Luke 6:31  And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

John 13:34-35  A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Ephesians 4:32  Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

1 Peter 4:39  Show hospitality to one another without grumbling.

I believe our words can change the lives of others.  Our words can put out the light and send someone into darkness or it can ignite a light and passion within someone.  There is far too much negativity and darkness in the world.  Don’t you agree?  So let’s be the light, let’s change the way we respond in anger or jealousy and respond with love, kindness, forgiveness, and do more through hospitality without grumbling!

2 comments:

  1. This is such an eye opener that I wish so many in this world would practice instead of trying to be better than the next person try to help them see there is better ways to view a situation in which they are in & be that smile in their bad day/moment/week! Let's have more positive outlook for others who may not always see or feel positive & in your darks days hopefully that will be returned to you in your dark hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an eye opener that I wish so many in this world would practice instead of trying to be better than the next person try to help them see there is better ways to view a situation in which they are in & be that smile in their bad day/moment/week! Let's have more positive outlook for others who may not always see or feel positive & in your darks days hopefully that will be returned to you in your dark hour.

    ReplyDelete