Monday, December 7, 2015

Don't leave me alone


I was listening to a song on the radio and as I heard these lyrics it really got me thinking, how many times have I or others cried out these exact words:

“Don’t leave me alone, bust down the door to my heart like it’s your home. Don’t need no keys, I’m on my knees, begging you please don’t leave me alone.”

I know so many people, including myself, who feel alone at times.  Some feel alone because they don’t have a personal relationship with Jesus.  Others like myself who do know Jesus, find ourselves in a battle and distant at times. I have had people I love recently tell me that they feel like they have lost themselves.  Like they have lost control of their mind.  Depression and other mental illnesses can cause people to act and think like they never have before.  Those who struggle with depression do not want to be the way they are, but they are imprisoned by their own mind.  Someone recently explained it this way to me; “People think depression takes feelings away, and it does, but it also strengthens some other emotions to such as pride, laziness, anger, and loneliness.”  A person with depression can be in a room filled with family and friends who love them deeply, yet they feel alone and judged.  I know there have been many times in my life that I have cried out those lyrics to God and I am sure many others have too. I am grateful that God never leaves us alone even when we feel like we are.  But just like the lyrics to many other songs say, what are we going to do here on earth for those who are hurting?  What if God has us here to be an answer to that cry and we do nothing?  Are we going to be the hands and feet of Christ and show compassion and love to the hurting? Even if they are unlike us? 

It pains my heart deeply to see so many people hurting this way, people I love.  It pains my heart even more that so many people around them are so heartless or wrapped up in themselves that they don’t even care and continue to add burdens, judgment and pain to others.  If we call ourselves a Christian then why can’t we love and care for those hurting around us, in our workplace, in our homes, in our relationships?  This world has become so cruel to those who are unlike the rest.  If they don’t fit into our plan or our box then we don’t waste our time or effort on them.  Some don’t even realize that people with a mental illness in our community have to wait outside in a line for hours to hopefully get into a clinic for counseling and medication.  How demeaning is that and we wonder why more people don’t get the help they need.  What happened to the example that Jesus left us?  He healed, fed, and made friendships with those hurting souls who were outcast by the mainstream.  What is it going to take for people to have more patience, compassion, and love for others?  What is it going to take for people to step up and fight for the rights of the mentally ill?  More deaths by suicide?  I see beautiful children dying month after month to suicide because the stigma still exists and they feel they are alone and have nowhere to go.

 I would have jumped over mountains to get my son the help he need if I had known what a serious problem depression was for him, like I understand now.  What I have learned about the mental health system since is disappointing to say the least.  So much more has to be done.  So many more people need to take a stand and fight for the rights of those suffering and break the stigma so those struggling can openly ask for help and talk about their struggles without fear of judgment and condemnation.  The change starts with all of us! 

4 comments:

  1. An incredible post, Xavier! You have surely made ME more aware of this difficult and dangerous illness. Thank you for what you are doing. Kris Schonberg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this Xavier! Let's keep up the fight against stigma in order to save lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow one of your best yet!i counldn't stop reading it i wanted more i was cheering at the end.the word has to get out there. these are children of the most high God and yet they are not teated as so.Its an illness not a character flaw .love you .....Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete