Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Why Each Breath of Faith?


Each Breath of Faith became my blog and personal ministry after losing my son Tommy in August 2014 to depression by suicide.  As I sat in tears the days after losing him, I clung to my faith and it literally took everything I had to just continue breathing.  I felt like my heart had been ripped from my chest and life as I had known it was changed forever.  God’s promises were the foundation for my faith and trusting Him in the darkest time of my life was the hardest and most rewarding thing I have ever had to do. 

I have seen a lot of loss in my life; losing my first husband at the age of 22; losing the only father figure I ever knew - my grandpa; and my mother, but never in my life did I ever expect to lose a child (especially to suicide).  It has honestly been the most painful thing I have ever experienced and far more difficult than anyone could imagine having not gone through it themselves. 

It is proven there is a bond between a mother and a child that is formed in the womb as mothers carry their child until birth.  It is because of that bond that mothers would give their life for their child if it came down to it.  That sort of bond can never be broken; not even through death and that is what keeps me fighting and living for Tommy. 

I started Each Breath of Faith because I refused to let my son’s death be for nothing.  I refused to allow Satan to win this battle for my soul.  I knew that if I allowed my faith in God to guide and lead me, He would use this pain for His purpose and He has!  Everything I have done and everything I will do is in honor of Tommy and for God’s Glory.  This fight helps me heal and gives me a purpose through the pain I endure on a daily basis.  My hope has always been that through my story and passion I would encourage, inspire, and help others.  I have cried out to God many times and asked that He use me in any way He can.  I never in my wildest hopes or dreams could have imagined the road He would take me on.  Allowing myself to be open and willing for whatever opportunities come my way has allow God to connect me with people, projects, and events that I could only wish for.  Never could I have imagined being the Vice President of a Mental Health Board serving alongside of men and woman who have worked in the mental health field for over 30+ years.  I have met so many people who have shared their stories and helped me better understand what my son was going through in his pain.  I have been so encouraged and inspired by so many suicide survivors that choose to live and use their pain to help others. 

In the last 17 months we have accomplished great things, but there is so much more to come and so much more to do!  I could not have achieved all that I have without the guidance of our Lord and Savior and love and support of my husband, daughter, and SO many friends, family, and community members. 

I want to thank each of you for supporting Each Breath of Faith by sharing and inviting others to the page and events!  You never know who you might be helping just by sharing!  We look forward to our second annual Each Breath of Faith 5k3k coming up in April 2016 and hope to see you there!  If you know of an opportunity for me to share my story and ministry please let me know or give someone my contact info.  I believe by sharing our story, statistics, and personal journey we can help others.  Please continue to share and invite others so we can help, encourage, and inspire as many as possible! 

No comments:

Post a Comment